Con Amore

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Con Amore

A music based, slice of life, romance visual novel.

+2
MrBackpack
Waytfm
6 posters

I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :(

Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :( Empty I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :(

Post  Waytfm Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 pm

So, today my laptop (acer aspire 7551-7422) decided that charging was for losers and promptly stopped charging. The battery still seems to work fine, it just won't acknowledge the power cord any more. The power cord appears to work as well (I.e. the green led on the adapter box still functions when plugged in. This leads me to believe the problem exists with the DC jack itself. Does anybody have any advice they can give?
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :( Empty Re: I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :(

Post  MrBackpack Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Waytfm wrote:So, today my laptop (acer aspire 7551-7422) decided that charging was for losers and promptly stopped charging. The battery still seems to work fine, it just won't acknowledge the power cord any more. The power cord appears to work as well (I.e. the green led on the adapter box still functions when plugged in. This leads me to believe the problem exists with the DC jack itself. Does anybody have any advice they can give?

Call Acer.

I just replace 12gb of RAM and I need to replace my graphics tablet.
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :( Empty Re: I have 99 problems, and my computer is one of them :(

Post  Waytfm Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:50 am

I don't think I'm going to bother. I'm 99.999% sure that the problem is that the DC jack has been pushed in and detached from the motherboard. So I'm going to take her down to a computer repair place Monday, so they can fix it. It's not a defect, so the warranty won't cover it. So it'll be cheaper to have someone local do it.

It is a bit worrying to see that the computer repair company in question claims, on their website, that they thrive on repeat business. Razz
    TheCynic
    TheCynic

Post  TheCynic Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 am

Judging from what you said, it's probably the DC jack.

A computer repair company should be just fine.

(Try working with my hunk-of-junk of a desktop PC -___-)
    turbulentDuvet
    turbulentDuvet

Post  turbulentDuvet Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:04 am

Yep 99.99% sounds like the DC jack has fallen off the mobo. Good news is it's a quick fix, you could probably get your laptop back within the day if your PC repair place isn't too busy ^^
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:34 am

Yeah. I looked up some videos on it. I'd try it myself, but I'm not quite confident in my soldering skills to test them on the motherboard yet. Or anywhere close by. I'm going to take it by Monday. Until then, I'm limited to my iPhone Sad
    Ravenous
    Ravenous

Post  Ravenous Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:06 am

When do you get it back?
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 am

I got it back a day ago. It turns out the problem was with the cord itself. So now I just feel silly Surprised

In my defense, the plug seemed to work fine. Granted, I had no control sample to test either it. Anyways, it's a lot cheaper than the repair would have been, so I'm happy.
    tnnn

Post  tnnn Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am

Get a cheap multimetr - you will be able to diagnose quite a few things by yourself Smile
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 pm

I have one at home, it just didn't make the transition to college yet.
    tnnn

Post  tnnn Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Waytfm wrote:I have one at home, it just didn't make the transition to college yet.

I rarely walk outside without one... To leave one at home... Man, such a n00bish mistake Wink
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:33 pm

tnnn wrote:
    Waytfm wrote:I have one at home, it just didn't make the transition to college yet.

I rarely walk outside without one... To leave one at home... Man, such a n00bish mistake Wink

It is as you say Sad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am