Con Amore

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Con Amore

A music based, slice of life, romance visual novel.

+5
CaptainErsatz
notop
MrBackpack
Zarich
Waytfm
9 posters

Stuff to keep you Entertained

Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Stuff to keep you Entertained Empty Stuff to keep you Entertained

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 am

So, I found this off topic board XD

Anyways, I mentioned Ranma 1/2, and I didn't want to continue to clutter the board. So here this is. Recommend something for the rest of us to watch or read when we're not doing anything.

I'll start with Ranma 1/2. There's a manga and an anime. I've only seen some of the anime, but I've read all of the manga. It's by Rumiko Takashi, the mangaka who wrote Inuyasha. And it's a great comedy manga. It's easily one of my all time favorites. If you haven't read it (notop) I demand you do so at once. It's really good.
    Zarich
    Zarich

Stuff to keep you Entertained Empty Re: Stuff to keep you Entertained

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 am

od amount of Ranma, like up to Chinese Hair Product name girl. I've seem the live action and watched just alittle bit of the anime.

I will suggest The Hidamari Sketch Series. Which Includes, Hidamari Sketch, Hidamari Skech x 365, Hidamari Sketch x SP. Hidamari Sketch Hoshimitsu and Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb (which will air on October)

To say, this isn't an anime for everyone. It is Slice of Life anime in it's true meaning, so many people who aren't into slice of life might find it boring. Since Slice of Life is my favorite Genre, I fucking love this series. Every time I have a week break I marathon the whole series, (at the moment, 46 episodes, including the Dvd/Bluray only episodes). Just like all the other 4-koma adaptations with an all girl cast, (Like K-on!, A Channel, ect), there is a slight yuri subtext. But for me, I'm totally fine with that.

The anime is sort of experimental, like it uses from different types of art in the anime, like cubism, and some form of pointillism. Lots of the objects in the anime are scanned photos of real life objects. The animation studio is SHAFTworks, also famous for the Bakemonogatari Series, Sayonara Zetsbou Sensei, and recentally, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. (infact, the character designer for Madoka, Aoki Ume, is the creator of Hidamari Sketch).

I've seen the whole series just about 5 times. (The Equivalent of watching it for four days straight with no break). It is highly Recommended by me.

and to entice you even more. here is the whole cast in the official Swimsuit image drawn by Aoki Ume: (The ones next to the Far right and Far left don't appear till the third season)

Stuff to keep you Entertained XSYKB
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 am

I wholeheartedly suggest you keep watching Ranma. Or read the manga if that's your thing.

Maison Ikkoku is another great series by Rumiko Takahashi. It's a more mature romantic comedy, and every bit as good as Ranma.

Ah! My Goddess is another manga series I enjoy. It's also a romantic comedy manga series. It also has an anime, but I haven't seen it.

Maison Ikkuko
    Spoiler:

Ah! My Goddess

Spoiler:

Last edited by Waytfm on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 am

I've seen a couple episodes. But according to a friend who reads just about every manga their is, the anime is better than the manga.

I'll check out Maison Ikkoku. that is when I finish my one of a couple hundred ongoing series's I'm reading.
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 am

Zarich wrote:I've seen a couple episodes. But according to a friend who reads just about every manga their is, the anime is better than the manga.

I'll check out Maison Ikkoku. that is when I finish my one of a couple hundred ongoing series's I'm reading.

I love the manga, but I'm more of a manga guy in general. I'll have to check out the anime though.

And nobody ever finishes an ongoing series, you just add it to the pile of stuff you do when a new chapter comes out. I'm probably reading about 20 ongoing series, and there's a ton more I've just forgotten about.

We seem to have all Shoujo or Romantic series so far. So it looks like I need to start representing the more action-y side of manga

Some good action manga:
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Samurai Deeper Kyo
    Gamaran
    Vinland Saga
    Vagabond
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

Post  MrBackpack Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 am

I used to be really into Anime/Manga

But these days I can't seem to find anything of some real quality.

I've been through:
    all of Ranma 1/2 (both Anime and Manga)
    most of Inu Yasha
    all of DB/DBZ/DBGT
    all of Hikaru no Go
    all of Neon Genesis Evangelion
    all of TriGun
    all of Rurouni Kenshin (and spin offs)
    up to chapter 400+ of Naruto before I stopped caring
    all of Chobits
    all of Robotech
    ALL of the Gundam Series (I do mean all of them)
    Most of Ultraman (live action/animated Japanese Awesomeness)
    all of Love Hina
    All of Death Note
    most of Berserk

EDIT: and most of Yu Yu Hakisho

not to mention the hundreds of mini/micro series that I kept finding

I just can't seem to find anything of similar quality in story, characters, and artwork.

Maybe my standards are too high
    Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:01 am

MrBackpack wrote:I used to be really into Anime/Manga

I just can't seem to find anything of similar quality in story, characters, and artwork.

Hmmmm...In terms of anime, ever tried Hanasaku Iroha? I may to a full paragraph on it in a post later, but it is my favorite anime of all time. Which is saying something as I've been watching anime continuously ever since I was 4 starting with a VHS of Gundam Wing
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 am

AHHH!!! I can't believe I forgot about Hikaru no Go. I love that manga so much. It has a really great story, character development, everything. It got me into actually playing Go.

I feel shamed

Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 am

Waytfm wrote:AHHH!!! I can't believe I forgot about Hikaru no Go. I love that manga so much. It has a really great story, character development, everything. It got me into actually playing Go.

I feel shamed

tbh, I was sort of 'meh' with Hikaru no Go. I started reading it during my Anime/manga slump, where just about everything I read was whatever was in the Shonen Jump Magazines. I may have to pick up Hikaru no Go again.
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 am

It's definitely up there on my list of favorite manga.
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

Post  MrBackpack Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 am

Waytfm wrote:It's definitely up there on my list of favorite manga.

it IS my favorite.

I was playing go before it came out and the manga/anime just gave me tons of more people to play with.
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

Post  MrBackpack Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 am

Zarich wrote:
    MrBackpack wrote:I used to be really into Anime/Manga

Hmmmm...In terms of anime, ever tried Hanasaku Iroha? I may to a full paragraph on it in a post later, but it is my favorite anime of all time. Which is saying something as I've been watching anime continuously ever since I was 4 starting with a VHS of Gundam Wing

I had never even heard of it until now, gonna download it after I finish re-downloading Diablo 2
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:18 am

MrBackpack wrote:

it IS my favorite.

I was playing go before it came out and the manga/anime just gave me tons of more people to play with.

Stuff to keep you Entertained Puking-rainbows-meme-rage-face

Do you play on KGS? What's your rank?
    Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 am

I might as well post my top Mangas at the moment, just to show the type of stuff I like. That and I have 18 minutes to kill until The Odd Couple goes on TV. This is only Five of my favorites in my like, top 15 and it is in no order. They are just on my computer at the time.

1. Nazo no Kanojo X- A weird anime. It is a Slow Romance about a teenage boy and a really really weird girl. This is an unusual romance, not focusing on the sexual aspect or even stuff like kissing (it is like 60 chapters in, they haven't kissed yet). It is more about Love through one different type of bond, and what happens when things try to deviate you from the bond one has with a girl.....It just so happens that bond is...Saliva. it is really weird at the premise but it is really good once you get into it. Also, it is currently airing as an anime right this instant.

2. Tsukiyo no Fromage- This anime doesn't really have any deeper meaning to it. Frankly, just reading it will give you diabetes. The premise is that a boy falls asleep and wakes up as the heroine of a VN he played. It is cute, really cute, and very Slice of Life-ish with some supernatural stuff. It also has some pseudo-yuri, but then one remembers the main character is a guy in a girls body. Again, not for everyone.

3. Baba-Yaga. Only four Chapters have been scanlated and one chapter appears like, once every quarter year, and has yet to be translated but I can see the potential in it already. It is a Horror, more Psychological then jump. it scares. It is about the legend of the Yamanba (sort of like the Japanese Equivalent to the Baba-yaga, hence the name), and what one does to prove it's existence. It also shows how fucked up people can be. This also as more one-sided yuri which is just the dependency of one crazy, yandere girl. (Yeah, that makes two with Pseudo yuri, yeah I'm into yuri but this is just total coincidence.)

4. Sugar Dark

This one mixes a lot. Action, Horror, Romance, Fantasy, Military. It is hard to explain without spoiling. All I have to say is this is the manga that I eagerly waited for the next chapter to come. Once the chapter came out I read about 3 times. Very good Manga that has an actual ending, for being pretty short.

5. Necromancer

An Horror manga with a touch of comedy here and there. Each Chapter is Episodic about a man who can raise the dead for a price, and what happens to those who come back to life and those who ask for life to be brought back to the dead. it is filled with Morals, very sneaky trickery and shows the inner selves of different types of people. All chapters are relentless in their own way. (albeit one is pretty heartwarming/bittersweet.) It is very recommended.

Yeah, I like the Romances, The Horrors, The Romcoms, the Ecchi, the Harems lol.
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:35 am

Nagasarete Airantou is a pretty good harem manga.
    Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:37 am

Waytfm wrote:Nagasarete Airantou is a pretty good harem manga.

Yeah, it is. Im rereading it as I took it back up from where I left off and I was totally lost.
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

Post  MrBackpack Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 am

Waytfm wrote:
    MrBackpack wrote:

it IS my favorite.

Stuff to keep you Entertained Puking-rainbows-meme-rage-face

Do you play on KGS? What's your rank?

oh god, it's been years since I was on KSG.

I hardly play real people anymore, usually playing 'The Path of Go' on the XBLA or Smart Go Pro on my iphon/ipad

The only thing that I really remember is that I wasn't all that good, I just enjoyed the game
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

Post  MrBackpack Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 am

I am intrigued by: Nagasarete Airantou and Sugar Dark

Let me put my state of mind, when it comes to the current state of anime/manga right now:

When a grown man who loves comics and cartoons can't find anything of REAL quality readily available, who knows what kind of stuff that he might get into.

In my case, it was My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

It's been years since I've come across a series of similar maturity in the writing, well created characters (the main cast and background characters), and so phenomenally well animated; and I love it.

manga really died for me after Hikaru no Go, everything seemed to be going the way of the 'Twilight Saga,' directed at teenage girls, no plot stories and overly drawn characters, even for manga, and I couldn't stand it and gave up.
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:07 am

I don't think it's quite that bad. We just have the advantage of being able to see the great mangas that rose to the top in the past, instead of having to go out and find them. There were those same types of manga in the past as well. They were just forgotten as time moved on.

Hikaru no Go was a great manga, and that's something that few other manga will ever be able to match up against. I don't think it's really fair to compare the entire current manga industry against that one piece.

Personally, there are numerous current manga that I enjoy reading, many of which could be considered shallow. It just doesn't bother me. On the other hand, I tried MLP, and wasn't overly impressed. I sat down, watched several episodes, and just wasn't struck by it. I don't have a problem watching an episode if a friend is watching it, but I just wasn't struck by it to the point where I'll seek it out. Overall, my reaction was 'meh'

EDIT: Hajime no Ippo and Ashita no Joe are two boxing manga I really like. Ashita no Joe especially because there's so much history behind it. When it was drawn in the 60's, Japan rallied behind it in a way I always found fascinating. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find the first 64 chapters of it, translated to english.
    MrBackpack
    MrBackpack

Post  MrBackpack Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 am

Waytfm wrote:I don't think it's quite that bad. We just have the advantage of being able to see the great mangas that rose to the top in the past, instead of having to go out and find them. There were those same types of manga in the past as well. They were just forgotten as time moved on.

I know that, it doesn't make me feel any better.

If its any consolation to the new stuff out there, I do take the time to go through the new releases and the newer stuff, but I just cannot get into it.

Waytfm wrote:
    Hikaru no Go was a great manga, and that's something that few other manga will ever be able to match up against. I don't think it's really fair to compare the entire current manga industry against that one piece.

But that's the nature of any kind of literature/art, its always going to be compared to the past, anything that I enjoy will always be compared to something of similar nature that really stood out for me.

Example, I will always compare every RPG that I play to Dead Souls, every manga to Hikaru no Go, every FPS to Call of Duty/Battlefield, and every RTS to StarCraft 2

Waytfm wrote:
    Personally, there are numerous current manga that I enjoy reading, many of which could be considered shallow. It just doesn't bother me. On the other hand, I tried MLP, and wasn't overly impressed. I sat down, watched several episodes, and just wasn't struck by it. I don't have a problem watching an episode if a friend is watching it, but I just wasn't struck by it to the point where I'll seek it out. Overall, my reaction was 'meh'

to each their own my friend, to each their own.

I'm really cynical and pessimistic and, for me, MLP made me smile in a way that I couldn't really explain, and I grabbed onto that feeling and held on for dear life.

Waytfm wrote:
    EDIT: Hajime no Ippo and Ashita no Joe are two boxing manga I really like. Ashita no Joe especially because there's so much history behind it. When it was drawn in the 60's, Japan rallied behind it in a way I always found fascinating. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find the first 64 chapters of it, translated to english.

not really a boxing fan, but I know that wasn't the point of this edit.

I've tried Ashita, I was interested, but forgot about it in the wake of school work piling up.
    Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 am

I just finished reading a manga called Kizu (KIYOHARA Hiro) [the name is used to tell differnece between differnent mangas of the same name] it is only four chapters long but god damn, it is beautiful.
    notop
    notop

Post  notop Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 pm

I laughed out loud when I saw this board. My teacher looked at me funny. :/

But YAY off topic!
    And I will read it. I just need a) the money to buy them, b) the time to read them, and c) a place to find them, since Borders closed. They were my main supplier of mangas.
    I did pick up Biomega from Borders, though. It looks really cool.
    Zarich
    Zarich

Post  Zarich Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

notop wrote:I laughed out loud when I saw this board. My teacher looked at me funny. :/

But YAY off topic!
    And I will read it. I just need a) the money to buy them, b) the time to read them, and c) a place to find them, since Borders closed. They were my main supplier of mangas.
    I did pick up Biomega from Borders, though. It looks really cool.

Just try Amazon. Besides, Manga is so overpriced in America. It should be 50% cheaper...It makes me Glad San Francisco has a Japan Town.
    notop
    notop

Post  notop Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Zarich wrote:Just try Amazon. Besides, Manga is so overpriced in America. It should be 50% cheaper...It makes me Glad San Francisco has a Japan Town.
    You. Lucky. Bastard.
    Waytfm
    Waytfm
    Admin

Post  Waytfm Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 pm

I use scanlations for most stuff. It's fairly hard to actually buy manga where I'm from,and I'm broke,so scanlations are really my only option for reading most manga.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am